DIY Tips And Steps To Build Large Grill Covers
If you want to protect your barbeque grill and create an exceptional cooking place in your backyard, here are a few steps that will make the process simple, easy and effective.
Start by taking the proper measurements to build the right grill cover. Use a measuring tape and make a note of the width and length of the barbecue grill. You must make sure that:
- You measure the most extensive area
- The back of the barbecue grill
- The tallest portion and
- The side, front and back with special care of the angle of the barbecue grill top.
Also, measure the height from the ground and find out where exactly the difference of width occurs.
- Next, make sure that you create the pattern considering the measurements you have taken. Put the design on paper and add at least an inch to all of it to create the seam. Use the barbeque itself as your template if you are not comfortable in taking the measurements.
- Cut the design out to proceed with the next steps. Lay the canvas on the work surface and use a marker to trace the patterns carefully onto the canvas. You may use pins for that matter or tape them if you want.
Make sure that you have two end pieces and make the top, back and front out of one of these pieces and not of three parts.
The initial steps
When you start the process, make sure that you are precise with the steps and strategic with every bit of it.
- First, mark the post locations
- Then, secure the posts and
- Attach the girders.
For this, you must mark each of the four posts so that it is center to center. The back posts should be shorter than the front ones so that it makes a 10-degree angle for creating the roof.
Ideally, the design of the grill covers will depend a lot on the location surface.
- If it is made of wood, you can use adjustable post bases.
- If you want real cedar cover, you will need 8-inch cement holes.
Next, when you are done with erecting the posts, add cantilevers to secure the structure. Now you are left with building the roofing frame and the rafters.
Installing the roof
For installing the roof of your grill cover, cut the purlins to fit these on the roofing panels. Measure the width of these panels and increase it as it overlaps so that the total width of all the panels are just the same as the widest point.
- Line up the top and bottom purlins with both the edges of the top chord.
- The two purlins at the center must line up with the earlier marks that you made.
Finally, install the top and bottom purlins and make sure that all of the four overhangs are similar.
Now, install the roof on the J-channels. If any adjustments are necessary, you may need to trim the posts and fasten the trim boards to these posts. Secure the roof with brad nails.